Cysts are sac-like structures or closed capsules that are filled with semi-solid, gaseous, or liquid structures. They are similar to blisters. They often occur within tissues underlying the skin. For this reason, they affect any part of the human body. Their sizes can vary from microscopic to small balls.
At Coastal Dermatology and Plastic Surgery, we treat multiple medical dermatological conditions, including various types of cysts. To have your skin condition properly diagnosed and treated by our team of experts, contact us today!
Facts about Cysts
Let’s have a look at the key features and facts about these cysts:
- Cysts are more common on people than any other skin condition. Moreover, they occur at any part of the human body.
- Cysts have a sac-like structure that has the capability to be filled with pus, fluid, or any gaseous material. They are also non-cancerous.
- Cysts are most commonly caused by the clogging and infections of the sebaceous glands.
- Cysts typically do not disappear without treatment.
- Unless the cysts rupture, they typically do not cause any pain.
- Most of the cysts occurring in the human body are benign. However, some cysts can profess to become malignant and cause tumors.
- Some cysts rise due to underlying medical or chronic issue. The most common are polycystic ovary syndrome and fibrocystic breast disease. These conditions must be properly diagnosed before treatment can be successful.
Causes of Cysts
- Impact injury that breaks any blood or fluid vessel in the body.
- Genetic conditions.
- Blockage of body ducts that cause a build-up of fluids.
- Chronic inflammatory conditions
- A defect in the body cells
Treatment of Cysts
Depending on the type of cyst located on your body and whether there are any underlying medical conditions present, the technique used to drain or remove the cyst may vary. For cysts that are located on the scalp or other areas where hair is present, no shaving is required. During your consultation, our experienced medical team will thoroughly evaluate your skin, medical history, and more to determine the best diagnosis and the most effective way to move forward with your treatment. Although cysts are commonly harmless, many men and women have them removed for aesthetic purposes. It is often advised to not try to drain cysts yourself as it can lead to infection or to the cyst redeveloping in the future.
Contact Coastal Dermatology and Plastic Surgery today to schedule a consultation and have your cysts properly diagnosed and treated in one of our multiple locations in the Los Alamitos area!